Pages

Tuesday 11 July 2017

WinterLearningJourney ( All About Pure New Zealand ) Day 6 Native Aotearoa

Day #6: Native Aotearoa
Welcome to Day #6 of your journey and the last day in the south island. You are going to start the day by travelling 63 km north up State Highway 1 from Dunedin to a place called ‘Shag Point.’ Shag Point is one of five places in the south island where the Maori arrived hundreds of years ago to settle in New Zealand. They arrived at Shag Point in large canoes called ‘wakas.’ For more information on Shag Point and other Maori landing places, go to the Waka landing places website.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\NZ Map - Schematic.png




http://www.kiwidaydreaming.com/p/new-zealand-maps.html
Activity 1: Let’s imagine that you were on the first waka to arrive at Shag Point. You had never been to New Zealand before and you had no idea what to expect. Write a poem describing how you would have felt when you arrived in New Zealand. Would you have been excited or scared? I would have felt pretty nervous, I reckon…

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Waka picture.jpg

My Poem about arriving in to new Zealand
I had Arrived in New Zealand
I was so Nervous arriving in New Zealand
I Didn't know what to do because this is my First time in New Zealand
The End of my Poem

Activity 2: After visiting Shag Point, you hop back in the van and drive all the way up the east coast of the south island until you reach the town of Picton. You get out of the van and onto the Interislander ferry. It travels back across the Cook Strait to Wellington. Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand and every winter the city hosts a huge Matariki festival to celebrate the Maori New Year. This year part of the festival is being held at Te Papa, a big museum in Wellington.
Read about the Matariki festival at Te Papa.  There are so many different things to see and do at the festival this year. On your blog, tell us about three of the events. You can choose any three events that you wish.

My Events

Event number 1 - Putting Candles in the water that represent for all the loved ones who have passway and also experience and memories who wished farewell .
Event number 2 - Writing down on a piece of paper your Hope's , Dreams and inspiration's
Event number 3 - Watching Kapa Haka groups performing

Bonus Activity: As part of the Matariki festival, there is a two day Kapa Haka competition. The haka is a traditional war dance that Maori performed before going into battle. The haka is now performed by children/adults in the community and by professional sporting teams, including our national rugby team, the ‘All Blacks.’  The All Blacks have performed various haka over the years. Watch the following three haka videos (1 – 3) and, on your blog, list the haka videos in order from best (#1) to worst (#3). There are no right or wrong answers ☺
At the end of your day at Te Papa, you head to your hotel in the centre of Wellington. You are staying on Cuba Street, one of the coolest streets in the city.
Coolest Haka - #1 because it was Strong and loud to hear and they did it well and Proud
Coolest Haka - #3 Because they sanded strong and tall doing the Haka
Coolest Haka  - #2 I Think they needed just a little more emotion







6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Lillyana,

    I really enjoyed reading your poem about coming to New Zealand as a settler. It would have been pretty nerve wracking, wouldn't it? I can't quite imagine what the first settlers felt when they set foot on the shores of NZ and knew that they were expected to build a life here. I feel very fortunate that they did so well and were able to establish communities, build houses and create working farms that can provide us with the food that we require to survive. I often think about farmers and about all of the hard work that they do on our behalf. Have you ever spent time on a real, working farm?

    I actually grew up in a farming community in Ontario, Canada. A number of the boys and girls I went to school with came from farms and a number of them now live and work on their family's farm. I knew from a young age that I wasn't destined to be a farmer but I have always had a deep respect for people who dedicate their lives to working 'on the land.'

    Did you know that most dairy farmers in New Zealand have cows that have to be milked every day (Monday - Sunday) and that most will start milking their cows at about 3:00 a.m.? That is pretty early, isn't it?!

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rachel ,
    No i hvae not spended some time on a farm but i would want to my brother has but i have'nt yet ...... it did'nt know NZ cows milked everyday at 3:00am but thanks for sharing that fact to me and yes that is pertty early in the dark morning thanks for commenting on my blog and cheeking it out to GOD BLESSED U RACHEL :)

    Cheers
    Lillyana :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lillyana,

    That is cool to read that your brother has spent some time on a farm. Was he helping out on the farm or just visiting some friends? I hope that he wasn't on milking duty and that he didn't have to get up at 3:00 a.m. That is so early, isn't it? I sometimes get up at 5:00 a.m. if I am trying to get to the gym before work but I can't even manage that too often because I'm so tired that I sleep through my alarm!

    Talk to you again soon :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel ,
      Ummm... Yes my brother and mum went to the farm with my uncle did u know why they went to the farm it is because my uncle works at the farm yes it is soooooooooooooooo so early to wake up at 3:00 just to milk the cows if it was me i would eat dinner ealry and go sleep ealry so i get more sleep time ......

      Talk to u soon again Rachel :)

      ~~~~~
      Lillyana G

      Delete
  4. Hey Lilly,

    Loved your poem! I would also be Nervous when arriving. I also agreed with you on the haka how they were loud and proud. They were pretty good aye! Awesome blog post lilly! Keep on working hard.

    Your Gurl,
    Mia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miaa
      Thanks for the nice comment and yes the haka was loud and proud yes and they were good thanks for cheeking out my blog this hoildays Thanks Mia GOD BLESS U MIA IN EVERYWAY !!!!

      ~~~~ Lillyana G~~~~

      Delete